This salad has been a staple for me since I was a kid. It's so easy, so flavorful, and super light and fresh! Pair crunchy cucumbers with high-flavor heirloom tomatoes, and play with the rest to get your favorite flavor profile! I personally use this recipe as a base and mix it up with different add-ins depending on what I have on hand. As always, I try to get local produce if possible, and ideally spray-free or organic.
- (1) cucumber, cubed
- (12) heirloom cherry tomatoes, quartered [any tomatoes will work, I just love the heirloom flavors!]
- (1/4) medium-sized red onion, diced
- (1 handful) fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- (1 tbsp) cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil
- (2 tsp) unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- juice of 1/4 lemon
- salt + black or red pepper flakes to taste
- (1/4) ripe avocado, cubed
ADD-INS TO MIX THINGS UP
- (1 tbsp) capers [pictured]
- (1) large handful of pitted kalamata olives, sliced
- (1-2) heaping spoonfuls of sauerkraut [I love Wildbrine Dill&Garlic Kraut!]
- substitute lime for lemon, and cilantro for parsley for a Mexican-inspired flavor
1. Chop cucumber, tomatoes, parsley, dice red onion, and combine gently in a large salad bowl.
2. Add in extra virgin olive oil, apple cider vinegar, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper of your choice. Serve salad into individual dish.
3. Halve your avocado, slice lengthwise and widthwise until you have cubes still in the peel. Use a spoon to gently remove your cubed avocado from the peel, and add to your individual dish. (This way if you have leftovers to go in the fridge, your avo won't get brown and mushy!)